On the evening of October 4th a very interesting lecture was held at the Mongui Maduro Library. The subject matter “The history of the settlement of Curacao Jews in Venezuela” is a topic not many people are familiar with. The lecturer, amateur historian Mr. Hubert A. Cabaña, spent many hours at the Mongui Maduro Library studying economic, social and geopolitical aspects of the settlement of Jews from Curacao in Venezuela throughout the centuries and collected lots of information. Fortunately Mr. Cabaña was able to present the result of his studies in a nutshell to the captive audience. He explained that the Jewish merchants from Curacao who were striving to expand their trade relations to Coro met with a lot of resistance not only from the Venezuelan Catholic Church which kept persecuting the Curacao Jews even after the Spanish inquisition was abolished but also from Venezuelan merchants who viewed the merchants as fierce competitors. Since the Curacao Jews were Dutch citizens the Royal House of the Netherlands tried its best to protect them. In 1855 the Dutch King William I even had to sent war ships to Coro to save Curacao Jews from Venezuelan pogroms. The lecture was well received by the audience and several members of the public were still left with a lot of questions. The collection of the Mongui Maduro Library is available on a day to day basis for those who would like to research this topic and other subject matter related to the history of the Curacao Jews and social and cultural history of our island. The next Mongui Maduro Library lecture is planned for the 2nd half of January 2019.
- The Building
- Activities 2019
- ISC students visit Mongui Maduro Library and Museum
- Reclaiming history workshop at Mongui Maduro Library
- Settlement of Curacao Jews in Venezuela: Interesting lecture by Hubert Cabaña
- Mongui Maduro Library now also open on Saturdays!
- Visit Goucher College of Baltimore
- International museum day 2018
- Lecture Dr. Margo Groenewoud
- Fiesta time by Josette Goldish
- International Museum Day 2017
- Visit and Presentation Students University of Mannheim.
- Expo Commemoration 100th birthday anniversary George John Lionel Maduro open on July 15, 2016
- Transfer of the Snoa Archives
- Presentation of an overview of publications
- Visit of Students of universities of Germany, Austria and Switzerland
- Interview with prof. Willem Klooster and Aviva Ben-Ur
- Interview with Josette Goldish-Capriles
- High school students visit The Library and Museum for Youth Program
- Van afscheiding tot reünie - Ron Gomes Casseres
- Keynote speakers at Avila Hotel
- Social event VanEps Kunneman VanDoorne - Kristòf
- 40 years celebration of the Mongui Maduro Foundation